Saturday, March 28, 2009

What Next?


But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of,
knowing from whom you have learned them.
2 Timothy 3:14

Many of us have had the opportunity somewhere in our lives to learn from individuals that have imparted great wisdom to us. I could give you names of people that I have learned from firsthand and even from afar: Whetsel, Shafer, Pope, Nee, and my father, Jimmy Hudson. All of these men have taught me from both their words and experience. I am also grateful to say that I have a Godly wife that God has used to strengthen my walk with Him as well as bless my life.
While I am grateful for what they have each taught me, the truth is that their teaching only does me good if I apply it. We can learn a great deal in our years on this earth, but if we do not do anything with what we have learned we have profited nothing and wasted valuable resources. I remember standing in the backyard pitching a baseball to my father while he taught me how to do it correctly. I thought of that many times when I stood on the mound during a high school game. I often try to follow the example of loving the unlovely that I learned from a colleague named Charles Whetsel. My devotion life was taught to me through the example of my wife. All of us can learn, but we must decide what we are going to do with what we learn.

No comments: