Friday, May 14, 2010

Daily Light - May 14, 2010

Daily Light from the Lighthouse

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord."
Proverbs 18:22

Today is a very special day for me. When I woke up this morning, two things came to my mind.
First, on this date my grandmother, Myra Head Hudson, was born. This lady was one of the most precious people to ever walk the face of the earth. She was an LA girl (LA standing for Lower Alabama). I don't know of many people that could work as hard as she worked. I have some tremendously fond memories of her life. Some of them are funny and some are inspiring. She demonstrated kindness continually. I remember coming in at midnight after we had driven from Atlanta to her home. She would be in bed asleep and wake up when we rang the door bell. The next thing you knew there was a spread of sandwich "stuff" on the table, and we were being fed a midnight supper. Of course, I never refused. Mostly, I remember how much she loved my grandfather. He was her life. They had a quiet love that did not need a lot of words. They took care of each other continually. I remember him saying in a simple southern Alabama tone, "She's a good woman!" I knew he meant that with more emotion than his voice expressed. I saw the reality of it after my grandmother went to be with the Lord. My grandfather was in the early stages of Alzheimer's and had no short term memory. Every day, when my father would visit him, he would ask where "mama" was. My father would have to explain once again that she had died. My grandfather would begin to cry and say how much he missed her. She was truly "good" for my grandfather and a gift from the Lord.
Second, I have my own reason to rejoice today. Sixteen years ago today I obtained favor from the Lord. My life was blessed by having Susana Palomino become my wife. We stood at an altar before family, friends, and our Father and committed our lives to one another. She promised me that day that she would be with me for better or for worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, until death would us part. She has been committed to me, and I have been committed to her. There have been days that the strength of our bond has been tried. We have faced our share of storms. However, no matter what, we have faced them together. We have rejoiced over the great blessings we have experienced together. God has blessed our union with four beautiful children. He called us to minister together, and He has given us a church family to share Christ with. We are so grateful to God for the life that He has given us. I know personally that she is a gift of God's grace in my life. I would not be the man I am today if it were not for my precious wife. Susan and my grandmother are different in many ways, but there is one way in which they are very similar. They both were committed to God and committed to their husbands. My grandfather and I both found a good thing and obtained favor from the Lord.
May you know the joy of God's favor today in your personal life and if applicable in your marriage!

No comments: