Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hearing Voices


The things that you have heard from me among many witnesses,
commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
2 Timothy 2:2

We are often challenged to learn, but we must be sure of the source of our learning. I often have the opportunity to get my hands on good books that have been either given to me or recommended to me. In these books I am able to glean from others what they have learned about life and especially about the times of life in their spiritual walk. Biographies are my favorite, because it is a glimpse into the life of an individual that we do not often get to see. We live in an age where resources are readily available. I listened this week while on the internet to two great Christians that served our Lord and literally gave their lives for Him: Corrie Ten Boom and Jim Elliott. It was incredible to hear their voices and at the same time to hear their hearts. The real challenge however comes at the end of hearing their sermons, the last page of the book, or the final words of the biography. What will I now do with what I have heard and learned? It is not enough to hear the lesson. There must be an acknowledgment of what is learned so that we can pass it on to someone else. Timothy was benefiting from what Paul had learned, but Paul challenged him to pass it on. May our voices be heard by the next generation!

No comments: