Thursday, November 11, 2010

Daily Light - November 11, 2010

Daily Light from the Lighthouse

"Many daughters have done well, but you excel them all."
Proverbs 31:29

I have been blessed to have some very Godly ladies be an influence over my life. While each of them are very different, they have all played very important roles in my life. If you were to examine my spiritual DNA, you would recognize that every individual lady has left an impression upon my heart that has been an important part of the shaping and molding of my life. The lessons that I have learned from them could in no way be recorded in a small section such as this, but I can give you an overview of how God has used all of them to personally influence me.
As almost anyone would, I could begin with my mother. Angie Hudson taught me lessons of loyalty and sacrifice. As a teenage boy my father felt impressed by God to serve in the country of England as a missionary. In all honesty I had no desire to go. I felt as if I was going to miss out on some things in life if I was forced to go all the way across the ocean. I watched my mom, however, make that same sacrifice. She could have balked at the life change, but instead I saw her embrace the decision of my father and most importantly God's will for our lives. She left behind a newly married daughter and everything that was normal, but I know that all of these years later part of her still calls England home. Thanks, Mom, for following Christ and not your own will.
My grandmother, Myra Hudson, taught me what it meant to work. This little lady of less than 5' could work harder than most men twice her size. From early in the morning until it was time to go to bed, she labored diligently and fervently. She also taught me what kindness and tenderness is. She treated my grandfather and each one of us grandchildren as if we were made of porcelain, taking care of our every little need. There are days where I would give any thing to drive to Enterprise, Alabama, and sit at her table just one more time.
I have also been blessed with a Godly mother-in-law. Yes, I said mother-in-law! It seems that there is a pattern of short women in my life. Julia Palomino has loved me from the first day that I walked into her home. As the mother of seven children, she has embraced the heart of burden for each child and now for her over 20 grandchildren. Julia has taught me the meaning of the word faith. She trusts God day by day to be her provision and her help. Many of us would say that she extends herself too far, but I don't think that she knows to be any different. Her love and faith mix together to do her best for God and for others, sometimes at the great sacrifice of self.
My wife's grandmother, Kathy Rose, is a powerful reflection and shadow of our Lord, Jesus Christ. This lady with enormous talents and tremendous beauty in her face and heart gave her life to the people of South America. She surrendered all for the sake of God's kingdom. I honestly feel privileged just to have been in her presence. She also taught me what it means to love your spouse with all of your heart. Even after 50 years of marriage, she loved her husband like they had just gone on their very first date. She was enthralled by his presence. When he passed away suddenly, it was as if a light in the midst of her heart went out. She lived faithfully to the Lord for a couple of years, but her longing was to be with the two people that she loved the most: Jesus Christ and Gerald.
Finally, over 20 years ago I met a 17 year old girl named Susan Palomino. Little did I know at that moment in Houston, Texas, how big an impact that girl would have on my life. I have said this to her privately, and I mean it with all of my heart: There is not a man or woman that I know that I respect more than her. When we got married, I was in ministry, but my heart was far from God. She tried to plead with me often to get my heart right with the Lord, but it was to no avail. I had justified my behavior in the fact that I was in ministry. So, she quit talking and started praying. There is nothing more heart rending than to see your wife's face wet with tears as she prays for your life and soul! I can say today that God heard her prayers and has answered them. Susan's tremendous beauty is only surpassed by the beauty of her heart. I am eternally grateful to God for giving to me the precious jewel of Susan that was born this day 38 years ago in the Andes Mountains of Peru. How amazed I am at God that He had planned for our lives to come together from such a great distance! Susan, I love you, and I am thankful for all that you are to me and our precious children!
May you see the gifts that God has given you today!

No comments: