Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Haitian Friends

My heart is heavy as I think of the situation in Haiti. Pastor and Sister Turner in Saut D'eau have kept us up to date of the difficult situation that is going on after three hurricanes hit them in less than two weeks. The last, Hurricane Ike, did so much damage that bridges were washed out and crops were completely destroyed. Having been there before and knowing how desperate conditions are normally, I cannot even fathom what it must be like for them. Now, on top of flooding and food shortages, the standing water is becoming a haven for disease such as malaria. At one time I did not understand what people meant when they said that there was an outbreak of malaria. Now, since my trip to Africa this summer where I contracted malaria, I have a completely different outlook on the situation. I know the pain and the sickness that are associated with this disease, and it truly breaks my heart to know that adults and little children who are already so weak are having to deal with this problem. As you read this, please pray for God to supply the need of food and medicine to this isolated region. It is critical that they get help this week. There has been a great revival in this area as of late, and please pray that God will use this to bring even more away from the emptiness of voodoo to peace and hope in Jesus Christ.

No comments: