Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Daily Light - September 2, 2010

Daily Light from the Lighthouse

"Children are a heritage from the Lord...Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them."
Psalm 127:3,5
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing."
Proverbs 18:22
I have learned so much about life having been given the privilege and blessing to be a husband and a father. When I try to imagine what my life would be like if it were not for the five precious people that God has allowed into my life, there is a foreboding cloud of fear and depression that sweeps over me. I am so thankful that God has blessed me and entrusted me with these relationships.
In Proverbs Solomon spent a great amount of time warning his son to avoid the strange or contentious woman. He stressed to him the importance of that great relationship called marriage. God has not called all of us to marry, but for those of us that He has, we must see the blessing, privilege, and responsibility with this call. Over 16 years ago I entered into this covenant with my best friend. Even though I was in ministry at that time, I was as far from God in my heart as I could be. I had learned well the legalistic and hypocritical idea of holiness. Every area of my life was suffering, especially my marriage. There were honestly days that I thought for sure that my wife would eventually walk away, and I wouldn't have blamed her. However, one day I entered the room and noticed her reading a book. Later I found the book and saw it was entitled "The Power of a Praying Wife". In my damaged spiritual state I experienced two emotions: anger (that she thought I needed so much prayer) and conviction (because I knew how much I needed prayer). Today, I am a living testimony of the fact that prayer works and that a man who finds a Godly wife finds a good thing (that which is honorable - it sounds strange to call a spouse a thing). Could I please encourage every spouse to spend great amounts of time in prayer for your husband or wife? You cannot change them, but God in Heaven can.
A quiver is the tool that is used to hold the arrows of a hunter or soldier. The Bible tells us that a happy father is one that has his quiver full of children, and that they are his legacy. The arrows in this hunter's quiver are very precious to him. For many centuries each arrow was handcrafted by the hunter or soldier. He spent an incredible amount of time to make sure that they flew just right. The head had to be shaped to certain specifications. It was important to make sure that they were straight and did not warp. These arrows were so precious that after they were shot they would be sought out in order to be returned to the quiver. At some point however, when a shot had to be made at quite a distance, the hunter would have to make a conscious decision to let that arrow go and fly for the purpose for which it was created. I am personally thankful for the little arrows that God has put into my quiver. He is giving me the privilege of shaping four precious lives. Like arrows, each one of them is distinctly different. I realize the magnitude of my responsibility as a father to these impressionable souls, and I desire greatly for them to fly straight for the glory of God. There will come a day when I will lift my bow toward the unknown and let them fly into the purposes for which God created them. If you have children, I know that there can be great burdens in being a parent. However, see beyond the burden and recognize the blessing. God has entrusted you with a precious gift. Shape them for Christ's sake so that they may fly to Jesus!
To my dear family: Susan, Julianna, Dianna, Michael and Jordan, I love you with all of my heart!
May your family be God's family today!

No comments: