"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits."
Most of us commonly think of God's blessings in the sense of material things. Because we live in a country where we are so full of stuff, it is easy for this to be our main understanding of God's benefits. However, as we begin to examine our lives, we find that God's benefits graciously go beyond the things that we possess. Let's be honest with ourselves when it comes to things. First, those items that we greatly treasure will eventually rust and decay. Why live for things that are simply going to rot? Second, when we make "stuff" our primary desire, we are never satisfied with what we have; we always want more. That is because things will never be able to satisfy the real craving of the soul.
So what does the psalmist say are the benefits of the Lord that reach deep into our hearts? What a list it is! Could I encourage you to read this list and stop after each one and consider what God has done for you? After you read each benefit, thank God in Heaven for supplying the great needs of your spiritual life.
1) He forgives all our iniquities. What a fabulous word that little word "all" is!
2) He heals all our diseases. God has power over every affliction that you will ever face.
3) He redeems your life from destruction. In His grace He took us from hopeless to joy unspeakable!
4) He crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies. It is because of His mercies that we are not consumed; great is His faithfulness.
5) He satisfies your mouth with good things, His love is as sweet and enlightening as honey to a weary soul!
We have so much to praise God for that has absolutely nothing to do with any materialistic possessions. Praise God today for all that He does in your heart and soul. Get your mind off of circumstances and things. Focus on what Christ has done and will do in your life. Sing out loud like the psalmist did: "Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name!"
May you live in the joy of His benefits today!