Thursday, July 15, 2010

Daily Light - July 15, 2010

Daily Light from the Lighthouse

"We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body
and to be present with the Lord. Therefore, we make it our aim,
whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him."
2 Corinthians 5:8-9

Growing up I was one of those sneaky kids. Some kids are outwardly rebellious and they don't care who knows it. Others, like me, made sure that while someone was around I was doing the right thing. It is when I was alone or in the company of those that I "trusted" that I often found my trouble. I assumed that as long as my parents or other authorities in my life didn't know about it then everything would be just fine. Obviously, I naively did not consider the presence of God.
I thought of this when I read this passage. The Apostle Paul lived his life very aware of two things. First, as a child of God he would one day be absent from this body and in the very presence of Jesus Christ. This was his ultimate prize and goal. He longed for that high calling. He was living his life with that moment in mind. Do you ever consider that moment? Do you wake up each day with the reality that it could be your last, and you could very soon find yourself standing before Almighty God? I am sure that most of us would say that we look forward to that moment. However, I am not so sure that most of us live in preparation for that day.
Second, Paul was also aware that even while he lived here on earth he was walking with the Spirit of God as his continual companion. Paul stated that his goal in life was to live pleasing to God while here on earth so that he could be pleasing to God in eternity. We are laying up something for ourselves in Heaven while we are living on earth. The question is, what are we putting in that store house? Is it wood, hay, and stubble that will burn under the fire of testing? Or, is it gold, silver, and precious stones that will only become purer with God's holy heat?
Recognize that today is a day to be lived for God. Strive above all things to please Him.
May you be aware of God's presence today!

No comments: